The Link Between Organic Food and Our Health
Prepared by: Mara Panacci, R.H.N. | marapanacci.com
The term ‘organic’ has become synonymous in people’s minds with health, wellbeing and green living. We can have open dialogue about organic foods at our local farmer’s markets, family gatherings and even large supermarkets are carrying a varying supply. You’ll definitely hear more about organic food if you decide to work with any holistic wellness practitioner such as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist™ professional or Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant™ professional, or a yoga teacher. While it’s positive and empowering to have organic food become a mainstream item, it’s important to have a firm understanding of its benefits and impact on our health and the health of our planet.
Above all, Holistic Nutritional Consultant professionals (with the R.H.N. designation or C.H.N. designation) work from a firm belief that food should be natural, alive and of good quality to serve us optimally. Organic products can be a large part of this healthy framework and when understood, can help us live life to the fullest.
What exactly does Organic mean?
Organic foods are grown without harmful chemicals, artificial fertilizers and poisonous pesticides. They encompass responsible farming techniques such as rotating crops and using natural soil aids like manure and clover. Organically raised animals enjoy a high quality of life with access to fields and plenty of space to roam. They are also free from antibiotics and unnatural feed. Ideally, organic means sustainable agriculture and the humane treatment of animals to bring forth high quality, nutritious, whole food for the planet.
How Organic food can boost your health:
Along with a lifestyle that includes natural, whole and vibrant foods that are local, in season and fresh, there are plenty of healthy reasons to choose organic.
- Greater emphasis on soil health and traditional farming methods makes organic food higher in nutrients and antioxidants than standard produce.
- Foods without chemicals and artificial fertilizers taste better, encouraging you to prepare them simply and enjoy their natural flavour without the use of store bought condiments and sauces.
- Food has energy! Enjoying a wide variety of chemical free meals will raise your vitality and leave you feeling vibrant.
- Knowing that you are supporting sustainable practices that also work to help the planet leaves you feeling mentally healthy.
- You can enjoy animal products responsibly and in moderation, knowing that they are hormone free.
- Eating organically as much as possible lessons the toxic burden on our body, leading to less sickness and disease.
To learn more about how to incorporate organic foods into your healthy lifestyle plan, consider working with a Registered Holistic Nutritionist™ professional or Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant™ professional. Together we can build a vital body, strong mind and radiant spirit!